To be the most trusted health data research ecosystem by delivering insights that lead to improved systems, services and treatment options for patients across Europe.
To address the critical need to improve how health research is conducted, by building a large-scale, federated network of data sources standardised to a common data model: 21st century tools for 21st century research.
Goals & Objectives
EHDEN’s mission is to reduce the time to provide an answer in real world, health research. It will achieve this by developing the required infrastructure in a federated network at scale across Europe, collaboration on research methodologies, and education in an open science collaboration.
The aims of EHDEN are to:
- Harmonise in excess of 100 million anonymised health records to the OMOP common data model, supported by an ecosystem of certified SMEs, and technical architecture for a federated network
- Establish a self-sustaining open science collaboration in Europe, supporting academia, industry, regulators, payers, government, NGOs and others
- Impact our understanding of, and improvement of, clinical outcomes for patients within diverse health systems in the EU
Three pillars support EHDEN’s goals and aims:
- Creation of an EU-wide architecture facilitating the identification, characterisation and utilisation of real world data from diverse data curators/institutions within privacy by design
- Open calls for data curators and institutions to apply for grants towards mapping of their data to the OMOP common data model, and to be involved in an OHDSI community for research
- Certification of SMEs in mapping to the OMOP common data model consistently, applied for via parallel open calls
Research & Outcomes
- Execution of research use cases to evaluate the validity and veracity of the EHDEN federated network in collaboration with key organisations, including the European Medicines Agency and HTA bodies
- Incorporation of the ICHOM health outcome standards into the OMOP common data model and facilitation of quicker outcomes research
- Collaboration on consistent methodologies in real world research consistent with the OHDSI global collaboration
- Close collaboration with the global OHDSI research network
- The establishment of an EHDEN Academy, webinars and face-to-face training sessions to train all stakeholders